ORCA is a non-profit organization based in Lima, Peru, dedicated to do research and rescue of sea-lions, dolphins, marine otters, whales sea turtles and penguins, next to promote sustainable development and the conservation of a healthy marine ecosystem, preventing and monitoring the cumulative effects of human impact throught advanced research, animal welfare strategies,
and innovative education campaigns promoting marine mammals as sentinels of the ocean, from the Eastern South Pacific to the world.
ORCA strives to be a strong and sustainable organization that articulates a stable network of operating bases on the Peruvian coast, ensuring a balanced relationship between humans and the marine ecosystem.
• To protect the marine ecosystems in Peru by promoting marine mammals as sentinels of the ocean’s health.
• To develop strategies for conservation, and to promote sustainable development between communities and the marine ecosystem, and to integrate the idea of a marine culture for communities in Peru.
• To raise public and government awareness of social and environmental issues through educational programs.
• To conduct cutting edge research in marine mammalogy in the context of human and environmental health, and to develop specialized protocols for marine animal welfare.
• ORCA recognizes the link between the ocean and humans; marine mammals are the human equivalent in the marine environment, and are the key to determining the health of the ocean, and in turn, human health. It is our responsibility to use our knowledge of science, as well as our compassion for nature, to protect our oceans for the sake of future generations.
• We have identified marine mammals as sentient beings capable of developing filial relationships, with each individual possessing complex psychological traits and personalities that allow them to establish relationships and solve problems. Marine mammals deserve our protection in the face of devastating cumulative impacts on the marine ecosystem as a direct result of human activities.
• ORCA is opposed to the capture and commercial exploitation of marine mammals. We have publicly condemned the massacre of dolphins and sea lions in Peru, and we have taken a stand against illegal whaling activities around the world, including illegal whaling in the Southern Ocean.
• ORCA has also taken a stand against commercial scale trawl fisheries and unregulated oil industry activities including seismic exploration, which has impacted reef ecosystems and cetaceans, marine otters, penguins, and other marine life in Peru and throughout theworld.